Saturday, March 7, 2009

I Feel Good (just like I knew that I would)

Most would say that it's a dismal day in Streeterville. It's 40 degrees at the Mini, with intermittent periods of rain and fog as seen from the 14th floor. So why am I not feeling dismal? First of all, it's 40 degrees outside and not 20 degrees. Secondly, it's raining and foggy (Very Londonlike again) and not snowing and icy. The last remnants of ice in Lake Michigan are trying desperately to melt.

I was just speaking with my friend Chris and, unprovoked by any hints or suggestions, he feels the same as I do about the weather. "I can handle the rain, as long as it's warmer. It means that the general trend is warming." Mix 40 degree days intermittently with 50-60 degree days and that means one thing, "Yoo! Hoo! Spring is on its way!" I feel good.

There are a number of other things to feel good about today. The Cubs are on TV. It's only spring training and Zambrano only pitched 3 innings, but it's Cubs on TV. One can forget that one's favorite college basketball teams suck this year and will not be going to the big dance that is the NCAA Tournament. One can forget that the Bulls are struggling to even make that last playoff spot available. One can forget that the Bears had another mediocre season. Baseball and games in the sun have begun in Arizona and soon will be moving to Wrigleyville. I feel good.

Now call me a Pollyanna but even though my stocks are in the crapper, nationwide unemployment is creeping toward 10% (It's already above that in minority communities.), and 1 of every 8 mortgage holders is facing default, life is not bad. I have a job and it's not going away anytime soon. I have a traditional pension that will pay me every month when I retire (It even gives a 3% per year cost of living raise.). I have a huge chunk of equity in a condo on the 14th floor overlooking Lake Michigan. I can afford my life. I feel good.

In one of the oddest things that has happened in a long time, a really smart guy is sitting in the White House and both houses of Congress are controlled by Democrats. Instead of trying to get on board with the "Let's fix what's wrong with this country movement," the Republican Party seems determined to cement in the public's mind that they are part of the problem, obstructionists, obfuscationists, and finger pointing "Call everyone we disagree with a bunch of communists," idiots, one and all. Obama's approval ratings go up. The GOP's approval ratings dive ever closer to zero. I feel good.

Perhaps best of all, though, is the fact that Babs and her co-author are at this moment putting the finishing touches on "The Book." After a bit over a year of ordeals, book proposals, finding an agent, pitching to publishing houses, two authors nearly at each other's throats at times, hiring a professional editor to polish before turning over the manuscript to Random House, and daily crises, it is almost over. The final product is going to Kinko's on Monday and will be going to New York to the publishers on Wednesday. Babs is almost a published author and as they say, "It's all over but the shouting." I feel good.

Have a happy weekend ladies and gents. Life is good on the 14th floor. I feel good and I hope you do as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment